Presentation of the course
TRAINING OBJECTIVES AND GUIDELINES
The master mechanical engineer is the professional figure of reference in the industrial sector, in which he represents the strategic resource that assumes and coordinates the main design, production and management functions, through a progressive diversification and specialization of roles and skills. The students of the Master's degree are prepared to cover, with greater skills, responsibilities and autonomy, compared to the three-year graduates, the roles characterized by typical knowledge of mechanical engineering. This knowledge is obtained both from the compulsory courses and from the appropriate selection of courses of a restricted or free choice to complete the individual study plan.
The degree course in Mechanical Engineering is divided into six different orientations each with a specific profile:
- Mechanical Design, oriented to an advanced deepening of the methods and criteria of design, with specific profile related to mechanical design and innovation processes applied to it, also addressed to achievements of high complexity.
- Machines, oriented towards thermo-fluidodynamic studies and machine development, with a specific profile for turbomachines and volumetric machines in the industrial and non-industrial field, also addressed to highly complex realizations.
- Road Vehicles, aimed at the design and development of road vehicles and their propulsion systems, relating to two and four-wheeled road transport vehicles, in its various aspects of application, also aimed at highly complex projects.
- Railway Vehicles, addressed to the design and development of railway vehicles in their different application aspects, also addressed to highly complex realizations.
- Productive, oriented to the advanced management of the activities of analysis and engineering of production processes, to the application and implementation of the most modern production methods, as well as the development of projects and equipment for the improvement of the phases of the production process and / or assembly product.
- Robotics, oriented to the design and development of robotic systems in industry, with specific profile also related to skills in the field of automation and electronics.
- Aeronautical Propulsion, oriented to the design and development of propulsion systems for aeronautical use, with specific profile related to the use of gas turbines in different solutions for use in civil aviation.
- Models for industrial engineering, aimed at deepening the theoretical basis of industrial engineering, aims to pave the way for research in both academia and industry.
The course of studies consists of a total of 120 credits: it provides a first year substantially in common among the various orientations in which are deepened studies and capabilities of analysis and modelling of mechanical components and systems and fluidized machines, knowledge in the field of industrial design and mechanics applied to machines. The student can definitively orient his training in the second year of study, further deepening the specialist knowledge according to the guidelines provided, as well as customizing his path with the activities of his choice; in the second year is left ample room for internship, which can also be done in companies and external bodies, and the preparation of the thesis. The list of teachings can be found on the dedicated page.
The typical job opportunities for graduates are those of advanced design, innovation, development and planning of production, both in the profession, both in manufacturing or service companies, both in public administrations. Graduates can find employment in mechanical and electromechanical industries, companies and institutions for the production and conversion of energy, plant engineering companies, industries for automation and robotics, manufacturing companies in general for the production, installation and testing, maintenance and management of machines, lines and production departments.
The typical professional fields for graduate specialists in the class are those of innovation and development of production, advanced design, planning and scheduling, management of complex systems, both in the private sector and in manufacturing or service companies and in public administrations. Specialist graduates can find employment in mechanical and electromechanical industries, companies and institutions for the production and conversion of energy, plant engineering companies, industries for automation and robotics, manufacturing companies in general for the production, installation and testing, maintenance and management of machines, production lines and departments, complex systems. In order to respond to the needs of the various Interested Parties, with particular reference to local companies that show the greatest demand for second-level graduates in Mechanical Engineering, some roles have been identified and for the definition of the relative professional outlets reference has been made to the Nomenclature and Classification of Professional Units (NUP) identified by ISTAT. 220.127.116.11 - Mechanical engineers. Mechanical Engineers carry out research or apply existing knowledge in the field of mechanics to design, design and control functionally, to produce and maintain instruments, engines, machines and other mechanical equipment; land, sea, air and aerospace means of transport, the mechanical parts of their propulsion systems and energy production. They supervise and direct these activities, conduct research and studies on the technological characteristics of the materials used and their production processes.
Under the terms of the Manifesto of Studies there are no continuous degrees for access to the Master's Degrees, therefore, to proceed with enrolment, each student is required to submit the appropriate application for evaluation for access to the Master's Degree in the manner indicated on the website of the School.
Enrolment to the CdLM requires the possession of a first level degree and the possession of curricular requirements that provide, however, an adequate mastery of general scientific methods and contents in the basic scientific disciplines and in the engineering disciplines, preparatory to those characterizing those provided for in the order of this class of master's degree. The requirements for personal preparation based on the assessment of previous careers and the adequacy of personal preparation are also defined.
The criteria for enrollment are listed on the specific page.
The frequency of training activities of the CoL is generally not mandatory. According to the provisions of Art. 21 of the School's Didactic Regulations, for particular educational activities, the competent CdL may establish the obligation of attendance, after consulting the Class Didactic Commission. In order to favour a harmonious progression of the studies, some exam priorities are foreseen. The precedence is considered necessary because all or part of the subjects developed in the preparatory courses constitute an indispensable body of knowledge to be able to deal profitably with the study of the course. The priorities are specified in the annual Didactic Planning document of the Course of Study.
The training activity includes lectures, seminars, preparatory research and workshops in order to acquire knowledge, skills and abilities capable of opening to the world of work.
Throughout the university the knowledge learned by the student will be verified through written and oral exams of profit.
INTERNSHIP AND FINAL EXAM OF DEGREE
In the second year of the Master's Degree Course there will be an internship of 12 CFU to be carried out in companies, organizations or public or private research centers. The internship, together with the final exam, has an extension in credits corresponding to a commitment of about 6 months full time. Exceptions or internships of different sizes may be provided depending on the previous education of the students. The internship must be subject to prior approval and verification by the Bachelor of Science Council.
The final test consists in the discussion of a thesis, written in Italian or English, elaborated in an original way by the student, on a subject agreed with two university professors. If this activity is conducted externally, in companies or institutions (external training), the university speakers are usually accompanied by a corporate expert who performs the functions of tutor.
For the purposes of the evaluation of the final test, any decisions taken by the Commission in this regard concerning the evaluation of personal preparation requirements will be taken into account.
ACCESS TO SUBSEQUENT STUDIES
Master's degree and PhD.
last update: 20-May-2019